Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mermaids

For some reason (who knows why) I have been fascinated by mermaids.  Over the years I have made many mermaids from patterns and from my own design.  I decided to decorate my first floor bathroom with the "mermaid" theme and I thought you might like to see how it looks.
The walls as stippled with orange paint and the prints are by local artist Gloria Marco.  I love her simple drawings and bright colours.


This mermaid sits in the corner and is 36".  I made her from an inspiring picture of a mermaid that I saw years ago.  I believe the original mermaid was made by Ruth Landis.

She holds her fish and her starfish protect her.  She is all cloth with a wired tail.

This mermaid chair I made in a workshop with Cyndi Mahlstadt.   Notice the wee merbear and the mermaid pin doll on the chair!

I love this mermaid made in a workshop with Arley Berryhill.  The blowfish is paper mache and floats in front of her.  She sits in front of the window but is intent on seeing her reflection in the mirror she holds in her hand.  The stand is hand made as well using an old candlestick holder.

This wee cardboard and cloth mermaid hold her merbabe and hangs in a corner of the room next to the mirror.

This mermaid was given to me by a friend, she is cardboard and painted (5").

Hanging from a knob on the cabinet, made from card stock and embellished using  art stamps.

I purchased this mirror from a local artist (fused glass).  The pendant is bone and comes from Hawaii (given to me by a friend)
Finally, this is my soap dish (clay) purchased at a local craft show.
I think I cannot fit many more mermaids in this wee bathroom!


I have recently made a couple more mermaids which I will now share


Meet Asha (hope) an oriental mermaid
"Asha" is made using a combination of Arley Berryhill's "La Femme" and my own design, inspired by a picture of a Van Craig mermaid.  She has a shell and bead encrusted head dress with coral growing from the top of her head.

A close up of her hand-painted face with eyelashes.
Here she listens to the sea.


 The next recent mermaid is made using the "Siren" pattern from Karen Shifton.  I used hand dyed rayon velvet for her body and then went to town on the hand embellishments using beads, embroidery and appliqués.


A close-up of her sweet face.  her hair is assorted fibers and she hold a wee cloth mermaid.
The last mermaid for the season of Aquarius is from a pattern by Patti La Valley (a wee mermaid pincushion that stands 9.5" tall)



A close-up showing her beaded bodice and hand crouched algae!
I hope you enjoyed my mermaids.  I am sure that there will be more mermaids later in the year so stay tuned!
























Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...