Friday 16 May 2014

Tweedy the Owl

I love, love art books, especially those that have designs to make and inspire.  About a year ago, I purchased a wonderful book called "the artful bird" by Abigail Patner Glassenberg.  The book contains instructions and patterns to make your own feathered friends.

As you may have guessed, I choose to start with the Owl shown on the back of the book.  I have kept my husband's older tweed jackets for just this purpose!  I used the good parts of the jacket for the owls feathers and was very pleased with the outcome:




The owl has been regarded with fascination and awe in many cultures and throughout time. Owls have been both feared and venerated and have been considered either wise and/or foolish.  They are often associated with wisdom, medicine and prophecy.

My owl has his very own companion called Oliver.  Oliver is needle felted by hand.  The feet are wired, wrapped with floral tape and then wrapped with strips of torn cotton fabric to suggest feathers.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...