Monday 30 December 2013

Remembering Past Work

Now that the end of the year is fast approaching I decided to look at some of my past work.  I am sharing a few of my favourite pieces with you.

In 2011 I made a doll based on the theme "embellished".  I used elinor peace bailey's doll pattern "Monique" and then went to town on embroidery, beading, ribbon embroidery and lace and ribbons.  I loved the result and so did a member of my doll club who ended up buying her for a birthday gift for his dear friend.  I was so touched.  It is always reaffirming when someone, other than yourself, falls in love with one of your creations.  I hope you enjoy the photo.  The cats where a lot of fun to add as at the time I had four cats myself (there are three cats beside her and one on her lap).
Pin It

On this same theme, in 2010 I made another favourite doll, this time dedicated to Arizona, Phoenix and Sedona that I visited with a group of fellow "runners"in January 2010.  We went to participate in the Phoenix half marathon and then my friend and I stayed on to visit the Grand Canyon.  As bad luck would have it, the Grand Canyon was snowed in by a blizzard.  We arrived there (bus tour) but the canyon was a white out.  We could not see anything.  Our driver was great as he took us to see a lesser canyon and then on to Sedona.  I loved the beauty of the surroundings and was so impressed by the friendly people we met.  When the doll club had our spring challenge I knew that my inspiration would be Arizona.

Once again this piece is full of beading and embroidery.  The pattern is loosely based on a workshop I took with the talented Elise Peeples. This is a two-sided doll, one side depicts the sun-filled oranges of Phoenix while the other side represents the mystery that is Sedona (all in purples).  I hope you enjoy her (she is in my private collection). Notice the runner in black silhouette on the front of the Phoenix doll.


Last, but not least, is my favourite doll of 2009 based on the "Africa" theme in our June club challenge.  I decided to make an Ethiopian maiden.  This doll was made with cotton knit fabric over plain cotton.  The face was hand stitched to bring out her facial features and then the knit was pulled over her face and held in place with more stitching.  I leaned this technique from the australian doll maker Lynn Butcher.  I loved added her shell adornments and making her hair (crocheted) appear as if it is full of the red clay they use to decorate their hair for special tribal celebrations.  Sadly, I sold her too quickly and I still miss her as she was very beautiful and I was very pleased with how she felt in the palm of my hand.  I hope you enjoy her as well.
The last doll I want to share is one I made for our doll club's 8th birthday.  She is named, "Who say's we can't?".  This doll group is based on the work of illustrator Amy Brown.  I had fun adding her wee imps with the same "can do" attitude:



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Your embellished dolls are beautiful, so interesting, love all the detail. I have just recently thought I'd like to learn some of the embroidery and beaded techniques. If there are any resources online that you think may help me get started, I would really appreciate you sending me the info. Thanks,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...