Thursday 29 May 2014

The Toronto Blue Jays

Well, since I have been making "bird" art dolls for the last little while, I thought I would finish with the beautiful Blue Jay.  The Blue Jay is very common in Ontario and as I spent many happy years in Toronto I am fond of the Blue Jay.  I am fond of this bird not only because I love its bright blue plumage but also because it is the official emblem of the Toronto baseball team the "Blue Jays".



The Blue Jay is not seen in BC although the Stellar Jay is seen on Vancouver Island where I live (larger and not as bright at the Blue Jay seen in southern Ontario)

While I was looking through my stash of possible fabrics for this doll I came across a beautiful blouse that I bought on impulse but hardly ever wore (I am well endowed and this blouse accentuates this)! The blouse is shades of blue with made from a technique seen in Japanese tie dye.  I thought why not, and so I had my fabric.  I decided that this doll could have a longer skirt so that she would look great on a mantle but also hanging on a wall.

This doll sits about 10" tall and if hanging on the wall is about 18" tall

Her mask can be removed to reveal her wee face and her nest necklace

Back showing her bright feathers


I made her a wee mask to mimic the Blue Jay and then I added her feathered back feathers to pay homage to the beautiful tail feathers.  I even used the front button section of the blouse as part of her head dress to resemble the distinctive crown of the Blue Jay.  Overall, I was very pleased with the result.

The Blue Jay that this doll holds is made from felt.  This doll was fun to make and I hope you enjoy her.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...